Pity-Poetry

Pity-Poetry

Friday, July 4, 2014

what the grass couldn't do for me

the man on the motor 
outside my window-
black as day
curtain-covered-
is my father

I wonder politely what
the grass did to
him:
nothing he could have
done
to me

nothing he could have done
nothing different
nothing like that night
when I was five
and didn't want to be
tickled

in a dark room
like the one I 
inhabit now as I copy down my
own words

I threatened 
to shoot my own
father

not the one up 
there
no I don't trust
his pointing finger

this father more 
realistic
harsh and unfeeling-
ever wonder where I got the 
idea 
from?-
he left 

and came back with his
rifle 
loaded it
pointed it at me
thrill of a second 
shot spit and anger

I hid under my bed-side
table 
with the little drawer
where I kept all the secrets
I wished I had
to keep my plastic
ponies
company

I was used to hysteria 
by the time I could talk
and realized
sometimes people wouldn't 
talk back

so I talked back for them

but in this moment 
the hysteria 
didn't speak

I cried like a selfish
bitch 
reassured of what I was

then my father handed me
the gun

"I am your father
and you are going to
shoot me-
fucking shoot 
right at my heart."

and he took his pointer finger
and circled the target
coordinate 

a good poet 
would recollect the 
feel of the gun on my knees
and the weight 
and the measurements
perhaps the caliber

but I was five
and this was real
unlike most of 
my new-found realities

one last point
towards the cause 
and the ending-

drilling back through the 
salty shit
moister on my chin
in my cheeks
flooding irises
all I knew
was the afternoon we spent lying
on his bedroom 
floor

me on his chest
pretending not to be pressed
there
for his heartbeat

"no, it's ok
you can listen.
put your head back."

crouched under the
table now
head hanging down
eyes tight

"put your head back
goddammit."

thankfully he
got tired of standing,
took the gun
and took his leave

No comments:

Post a Comment