Pity-Poetry

Pity-Poetry

Sunday, July 6, 2014

from the other side of the garage door

when I was five I had 
to tiptoe
from the point
where the couch ended
and where the garage door 
began

our new wood floors
my father laid 
(he was so very angry that day
when I asked for a peanut butter
and jelly sandwich)
paid little 
attention
to my need for silence

I was so tiny 
I thought he wouldn't hear me
the guitar amps
high
and Steve's drum
beating me in 
monotone overlays 

Dad was right
they had none of
his
creativity 

but I listened anyway for 
his guitar 
strange strings
plucked and I thought
when I lost the tune
he would lose it too

but the guitar was just going 
other
places

I sat criss-cross 
applesauce
by the pale tan
doorway 
and the lock in gold
shone cleanly 

there was a hole cut in the
wall
near the tile floor
because he used 
to have a cat
and her litter tray 
was 
where his amps took over
and that cat is
gone

I could look 
through the hole
with vibrant
pink
insulation still sticking 
out
and see him playing

but somehow
he knew when I was there
and not in 
bed
and like many 
things
THAT made him angry

risking mind-
bruises 
I listened from the other
side 
of the garage door
anyway
and I still remember

his guitar was
blue

No comments:

Post a Comment